The thought of getting tested for STD is scary especially when one needs to undergo some form of HIV test. Some of the preconceived notions about STD, particularly HIV or AIDS is dead wrong, but people believe hear-say a lot. The HIV condition is treatable if one seeks treatment in time.
So, it’s very important that you seek STI counseling before and STD counseling after undergoing a test. This is available at the hospital, labs or clinic where you will be tested. To get counseling from us click here.
Better counseling is going to give you a lot of confidence and insight into how and where to get a proper STD test and what are the financial implications of such a thing. In case you test positive, counseling can help your doctor to determine how fast the disease is progressing. This information is required by any doctor to set a time frame to commence treatment. In case you test negative, you still need counseling. This can give you rare insight into how you and your spouse can reduce the risk of getting infected in the future.
Reasons for getting STI counseling
- Mental preparation makes it easy on the first-timers. There’s so much at stake in STD testing if you test positive, so it’s only natural for people to get anxious. A doctor at the counseling center and put you at ease with insightful guidance.
- The testing procedure is complex. If you know about the procedure well in advance it makes easy on your part. You know exactly what to expect and what’s the purpose of each test.
- There are financial implications when you’ve to undergo such elaborate STD tests. With each test you undergo, you have to cough up hard-earned dollars. An STD counselor is an expert in the field. He can guide you not to undergo some tests as there may be duplicate results. If you approach the issue all by yourself, in all probability, you will spend more money and time without gaining anything worthy in return.
- You have to agree that STDs have social issues. An experienced counselor deals with such cases every day, so he can share the cumulative experience of all such cases with you. In an instant, you are opened to not only the range of problems but also the most likely solutions.
Well, now you have finished the testing phase. Say, if you test positive you need the all the guidance available, so you must seek the assistance of a good counselor. But, if you test negative for any STD or HIV in particular, then, you may think, perhaps you don’t need further counseling!
Reasons for getting STD counseling
- If you get good guidance about how to protect you and your family from HIV, then you can prevent this STI altogether. You must learn how to reduce the risk of getting infected. This is applicable, of course, if you test negative.
- If your result is positive, you must learn how to prevent spreading HIV to others. The people who are most likely to get infected immediately from you are your near and dear ones. In all probability, you must protect them.
- After you know you have an infection, there are going to be issues. There would be personal and professional issues as much as social and emotional issues. Additionally, you have to address professional issues at the workplace.
- Getting treatment is not going to be easy on your purse. A better guidance on how to handle financial issues is going to keep you afloat for a longer period.
- That’s not all. All the medication and stress is going to tax your body more than the disease. You must know how to stay healthy in such a condition. If you lose health you will lose out quickly.
Testing positive for any STD is not a boon, but it’s not a curse either. When “one individual in every four infected with some sort of STD” nobody can stay safe for long. So, if you’re infected it may not be your fault altogether. Don’t blame yourself, because it’s not going to help. On the other hand, prepare yourself better. Get STD counseling. Don’t hold back anything from your doctor/counselor. Discuss your worst fears. He’s there to help.
Remember the last line; as long as you stay healthy you can defeat the infection. Never allow the HIV condition to progress towards AIDS.